Eventually I have finished my final project report for my solo project at CIID. It contains most of my process and explorations!
Posts Tagged ‘interaction’
Yesterday i took a visit to the experimentarium in Copenhagen to gain some inspiration for our current project and see how the experts do i!! It was such a refreshing experience. All the installations there were concise and to the point, they were not over loaded with features, and they were great fun to use. The highlight of my visit was when i saw an old couple (around 70) playing on a dancing game together! Which goes to prove that places like the experimentarium arn’t only enaging for children! Unfortunately my camera died on me after two photo’s but i took lots of notes of things that really stood out for me!
- if you can make the installation engaing for children, adults will love it to! I saw so many 20 something’s there and older people having great fun!
- The instructions were simple and clear, normally using 3 step pictorial illustrations (were also available in different languages)
- Use hand shapes as indicators of what to do, its very intuitive-you no exactly what to do.
- Music and sounds works very well for feedback
- A lot of the installations are over sized and exaggerated…makes it more fun!
- Each installation has a specific role, and does it simply and well, they are not over loaded with features
- There were a lot of collaborative games, it was more fun to do it with a friend, although i was by myself and was restricted with some of the things i could do.
- They used colour and colour intensity very simple to show impact and effect.
- All the installation involved you to use your senses
- Everything!!!! was very hands on, the user became part of the experience, they were necessary for it to happen. You were never just watching or looking at something, it was about physically doing something to learn.
- Light was used very effectively as indicators of what to do, touch, move next. It was very simple but effective. e.g. the children new that when a square lights up on the floor they have to move to that square!
- The Aesthetics were very clean cut, with simple use of colour and imagery. The imagery was always relevant to the experience.
- KISS: KEEP IT SUPER SIMPLE
“Each day the world produces untold amounts of information. interactive data vizualizations is a practice that aims to distill and communicate that information to people in visual forms that are easy and fun to explore, understand and use. In this two week module, students will investigate the roles of intuitive user interfaces in data vizualization.
They will learn how metaphors are used to convey unfamiliar information, and how mental models aid in the interpretation of complex visual displays. They will then use a bottom-up interative process to create interactive displays of UN data using adobe flash” Course Syllabus
Today we were given a fantastic overview of some of the world’s most well known and successful data visualization projects and started to learn flash! It has a complex interface compared to programming platforms such as processing that i am used to, but i can see it has huge potential, so i can’t wait for the next two weeks!
i’l keep you posted 🙂